Tuesday 26 July 2011

EARLY IN THE MORNING.


Another week, and another musical recommendation from me! One of the more recent additions to my music library, and already one of my fast favourites, Dublin born-and-raised folkster James Vincent McMorrow.

I'm fairly sure I first heard If I Had A Boat on the radio in work, and fell in love at first listen, downloading the single as soon as I got home. A few days later, I found out that he was supporting City and Colour in the Royal Albert Hall in London, a gig that I was already unbelievably excited for - so it was a wonderful wonderful discovery! When his album, Early in the Morning was released in February, it was on repeat on my iPod for a fair few weeks, and my feelings for McMorrow as an artist were confirmed as not just infatuation but true and unwavering love.



His lyrics, emotional, magical and at times, dark, coupled with his folksy guitar and banjo and soft, charming voice, just give me chills and a warm feeling in the cockles of my heart at the same time. His performance at the Royal Albert Hall was breathtaking. The audience were respectful, probably more respectful than I expected for such a huge venue and for a supporting act, and the silence in the hall when he started to sing gave his songs an echoing and haunting dimension that can't be justified from just listening to the album. His humbled demeanor certainly didn't do anything to dissuade my adoration and in short, he was fantastic!


If you get the opportunity, see him live. Otherwise, buy this album and lose yourself in it! (iTunes + Amazon)
 
love, Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment