Saturday 21 January 2012

SOMEBODY I USED TO KNOW.


Well hello there!

As you can probably tell, the first semester of my third year of Pharmacy in Queen's kind of took me by surprise with how much time it managed to absorb from my life. After the first fortnight, my blog was truly at the very farthest reaches of my mind, and photos I had taken over the previous weeks got tucked away in a folder within a folder within a folder - out of my sight and out of my priorities too. Between lectures, workshops, practicals, reports, learning French and Italian, helping out with AmnestyQUB, going to London for the Amnesty Student Conference and, I'll admit it, the occasional social event and gig, my blogging has been non existant.

The good news is I'm back now! I'm just finished the most stressful and demanding exam session I've ever and hopefully will ever have to experience again, and have a week of hospital placement coming up and finally a week of blissful rest and recreation to indulge myself with before I return to class again. I'm pledging this year to try and keep up my blog amidst the rest of my hectic life. My posts will likely be taking on a different format to the way they were in the past. I'll be continuing to post outfits, recommend music, share my photos and art and review events, though these will be condensed into a weekly review rather than individual postings for the forseeable future. However, I have recently started a tumblr - for the purpose of quick and regular sharing of my photos (including style/outfit photos) throughout the week - so if you've got one please follow me! I'll follow back, I promise!!

Today's photos were taken by the ever lovely Conor. 

 
 
Fur-trimmed coat - Topshop
Striped long-sleeve top - Primark
Paper-bag waist shorts - H&M
Tartan scarf - vintage/thrifted
Chunky chain necklace - Dorothy Perkins
Super cosy tights - Primark
Shoes - Minnetonka Moccasins 

 
This outfit contains quite a few recent additions to my wardrobe that I won't have blogged before. The coat was purchased around the end of October and has been a staple of mine throughout this winter. I love the textures in it, with the open weave wool and extra soft fur of the cuffs and collars. The shape is akin to a swing coat, which along with the rounded collar, gives it a vintage feel, and the details of the scalloped mac-like overlay and strap on the back give it extra character. It's safe to say I love it and will likely be wearing it for the next few years! Those neutral tones just go with everything!

 
 
The top is an old favourite that I've been wearing for years, while the shorts are a Christmas purchase! They're a beautiful charcoal grey faux-silk and have a great loose tailoring style. So comfortable and so wearable! They're also a perfect colour with my wine tights, which are another Primark buy which has been a savior during the winter for me. I wear jeans so rarely that tights are an every day necessity for me, and when the wind blows cold my legs suffer the consequences. These tights are less tights and more leggings - they're fleeced on the inside and are a delight to wear, and succeed in keeping your legs toasty warm.

 
 
My shoes are my most recent purchase, and I'm already in love with them. I really love moccasin shoes - maybe I watched Pocahontas one too many times during my childhood, but the style has certainly rubbed off on me. These are from the kings and queens of moccasins, Minnetonka. I've been looking a pair for about a year now since finding them online. They recently came in to my local Urban Outfitters in the Thunderbird II style, and this inspired me to have a 'window-shop' online at their other styles - and I discovered to my delight that they had a sale on! I scored these studded beauties for £36 and am so glad I did. They fit like gloves and feel like I've been wearing them for centuries. Extremely well made little things. I'd definitely recommend Minnetonka if you're planning to go down the moccasin route - and their sale is on-going to the end of January with a few other lovely styles included in it!

 
I'd also like to share this beauty of a song with you. I've been listening to this a few times every day during and since my exams, and I think I'm in love with both of these talented people:


I'd also recommend checking out Kimbra's other stuff, especially Cameo Lover - altogether more pop-based but nonetheless extremely listenable and danceable! (And isn't she just too gorgeous for words?)

I hope you enjoyed this post! If you have any suggestions for things I should blog about more, leave them in a comment below and I'll see what I can do. Finally, I'd like to wish all of you a somewhat belated new year!

Thanks for reading!
love, Jessica

4 comments:

  1. Actually enjoyed readin that :P not one for fashion though....More of a dress-like-a-male-cause-i-am-one. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! glad you enjoyed it - thanks for reading! hope your exams are going well :)

      Delete
  2. Hi! My name is Nicole and I just found your lovely blog today! And I'm already completely in love with it! I love your style, I'm definitively following you! Have a great week!

    Xo
    Nicole D.
    The Owl Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole! Thanks for the kind words :) I'm on my way to your blog to check it out! Hope you have a wonderful week!

      Delete